A Homeland Security and Emergency Management Institute
The NIMSAT Institute was conceived based on the experiences of researchers at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, under the leadership of Ramesh Kolluru, Ph.D., during the devastation of hurricanes Katrina and Rita in 2005.
The Institute focuses on the development of public-private partnerships and the application of advanced information technologies to enhance the resiliency of the US to all-hazards, and to the mission of saving human lives. NIMSAT seeks to enhance national resiliency to a full range of potential disasters by conducting research leading to innovative tools and applications that empower the homeland security and emergency management community through education, training, outreach, and operational support.
- Founded the Louisiana Business Emergency Operations Center (2010) in collaboration with the Governor’s Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness, Louisiana Economic Development, and LSU’s Stephenson Disaster Management Center.
- LABEOC recognized by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security/Federal Emergency Management Agency as a national best practices public-private partnership model.
- The BEOC is now physically located in Abdalla Hall at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.
- Awarded the prestigious Acadiana Innovation for the not for profit sector by the Greater Lafayette Chamber of Commerce (2011)
- Released a federal study assessing the national consequences of disruptions to Louisiana Highway 1 to Port Fourchon (2011) in collaboration with National Infrastructure Simulation and Analysis Center (NISAC) and the US Department of Homeland Security
- Completed the “Compendium of “Public-Private Partnerships in Emergency Management,” a collaborative initiative of the International Association of Emergency Management (IAEM), and the NIMSAT Institute
- Launched a pilot program of the Big Business-Small Business Emergency Management Mentorship Program that motivates and encourages large businesses to provide mutually beneficial emergency preparedness, response, and recovery expertise to small businesses